Today marks one year since I launched Statements In Basements. Pretty exciting feat for a fashionista! I had tons of fun getting to know the fashion blogging community this past year, making friends, thinking creatively, and challenging myself, so I’ve put together a list of my top 10 favorite posts from this year to look back on and hopefully inspire me to craft even more fun-filled fashion posts going forward! Let me know in the comments which posts you loved seeing and what kinds of posts you might want to see more of. (HUGE thanks to all my readers and fellow fashion friends for helping me get here!)
1. 20 Times Blair Waldorf Was Your Style Icon: This probably won’t come as a surprise because obviously fashionistas everywhere bow down to the same Queen B, but you guys skyrocketed this post to number one with the most views. Trust me, I get it. Gossip Girl has been a huge source of inspiration for me in the last few years, having watched the series 3 times in its entirety, so scouring the show for my favorite Blair looks was definitely the most fun I’ve had with my blog so far!
2. Shoe Trends That Make A Statement: For this post, I took to my Statements In Basements fashion Tumblr, scrolling my feed for gorgeous kicks. Granted, staring at beautiful shoes I’ll never be able to afford was torture, but I can’t walk in heels anyway. I know, I know. Sue me.
3. CARRIE x2: Sex & The City vs. The Carrie Diaries: Tons of fashionistas swear by Sex & The City, but I loved its modern-day teenage reboot, The Carrie Diaries, too. Noting the style similarities between teen Carrie and older Carrie was great because I got to see the subtle differences of NYC fashion in the 80s to the early 2000s.
4. Snag Your Favorite TV Fashion @ Forever 21: As much as I would love to fill my wardrobe with lush designer pieces, my wallet can’t support that kind of turmoil, so my shopping starts and ends with Forever 21. It was crazy fun to put together this guide to recreating looks from fashion icons without having to worry about money!
5. Style Icon – Alexa Chung: I covered tons of style icons this year, but one of my favorite fashionistas with consistently amazing looks is model Alexa Chung. Every single thing she wears inspires me and makes me see fashion in new ways.
6. 25 Stylish Gifts under $25 for Last-Minute Holiday Shopping: This shopping guide took me forever (well, just a few hours, but still) but it was super fun to put together cute gifts from tons of different stores that I know my own family and friends would love. My mom even sent the list to my dad for stocking stuffer ideas!
7. The Power of Fashion and Multi-Media Evolution: This was a different post than I usually write, but I was fascinated at how fashion is connected to all different kinds of art. Doing the research for this was interesting because I learned about amazing ways fashion has blended with music, architecture, and more.
8. 5 Ways To Wear Your Denim Skirt: I grabbed inspiration from my fellow fashion Instagrammers for this one, noticing that tons rock cute denim minis, so I took to Polyvore to think of 5 totally different ways for styling a denim skirt, which was fun to do even though I don’t own one myself… sue me again?
9. Top 25 Looks @ the 2017 Golden Globes: I’m pretty sure there’s nothing better than the day after an award show, scrolling through a million publications covering the Red Carpet where there’s so much inspiration all in one place. Award show fashion posts are definitely one of my favorite posts to write!
10. Designer Spotlight – Fausto Puglisi: Of all the incredible collections I’ve covered this year, Italian designer Fausto Puglisi had one of my favorites. His bright colors and swishy skirts made it an easy, fun post to cover.
Here’s to one year of Statements In Basements and hopefully many more!